April 15th....hopefully you've mailed off your tax returns and can turn your attention back to the important things in life....like your ART!
Welcome to the first week of the Collage LAB companion. If you don't own a copy of Collage Lab you might want to get yourself one. Collage Lab ( can be found here on Amazon or at your favorite bookseller). Otherwise what we say here might not make a lot of sense!
The intention of this blog is to be an interactive meeting place for those of you who have picked up a copy of my book and want more....more ideas, more results and more experiments to play with.
I am a teacher first and an artist second. There is more joy in my world when lighting the fuse that ignites the spark than any piece of personal work could ever bring to me. So you, dear reader, it's on you. I light the flame but it's up to you to keep it burning.
Post your comments, email me photos of your work and join our on line exchanges so that you can share your results with others walking through the pages on our journey together. EMAIL photos and links to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Collage LAB is designed to be used over the course of a year (52 UNITS- 12 Chapters). It's also designed so that the units are interdependent on one another...they do not need to be worked in any specific order but here on the blog we will start at the beginning and work through to the end.
What you can expect to find here......
1) There will be monthly giveaways (and sometimes more often,time allowing) of original art from the book, cds of my favorite music and a few surprises here and there.
2) Play the game, "WHERE IN THE WORLD IS COLLAGE LAB?" - find a copy of the book at your local book store (chains or independents), library, someone reading it or yourself working with it!! Photograph it and send it along to enter in to the drawing for a collage kit of hand made papers, old documents and such lovely things to work with you can't even begin to imagine!
3) On-line exchanges that will invite you to share first hand your results using ATCs and postcards. Think of all that mail art! Much more fun than bills in your mailbox.
4) On-line classes will be offered here from time to time beginning May 15 for a small fee...stay tuned for more information!
5) Who's been blogging? I've begun to become aware that there are people out there blogging about using the book so PLEASE, if you know someone have them send me a link to post or send it to me yourself! It's fun to see just how travelled we are!
6) BUT - MOST importantly, you'll find a nuturing environment to spread your wings, test the water and learn how to play again.
So join the fun....share your successes AND the ways that you found didn't work (we never say fail here).
"The pessimist see's the difficulty in every opportunity, the optomist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Sir Winston Leonard Spenser Churchill
Tune in on every Friday morning (starting tomorrow)for the newest LAB, more information and ideas and opportunities to share with the online community.
In the meantime....for TODAY, compose a comment to be eligible for this blog's FIRST give away....a free copy of COLLAGE LAB.
Now OFF WITH YOU....go to your studio or workspace, where ever you work and MAKE SOMETHING!
See you Friday morning!!!
ps.....I wouldl like to take this opportunity to thank each of the 20 wonderful artists who gave their talents to this book to create the chapter headers and complete the gallery. You will find links to all of their sites on the left hand side of this blog....give them a visit and a shout and let them know just how beautiful their work is. I am a very lucky woman to be in such good company.